Welcome to the blog that has been created to help share information on the life and times of Caledonian Railway No.828. The locomotive was built at the St Rollox (Springburn, Glasgow) Works of the Caledonian Railway Company in 1899. The Scottish Locomotive Preservation Fund (later the Scottish Locomotive Preservation Trust Fund, SLPTF) bought the loco from British Railways in 1963 with the aim of maintaining the loco in full working order so that future generations could enjoy the sight, sound and smell of a Caledonian Railway Company steam locomotive representative of the great technological achievements of our forebears.
At present 828 is based on the Strathspey Railway at Aviemore and is undergoing repairs that should allow the loco to return to operational condition during 2016.
|The commemorative plate presented to 828 on her 100th birthday by the Caledonian Railway Association|
|A view of 828 from the footbridge at Boat of Garten Station, Strathspey Railway|
|The Coat of Arms of the Caledonian Railway Company as carried by No.828. The Caley adopted the medieval Royal Arms of Scotland (without necessarily having gained permission) as their Arms to underline the "Scottishness" of the company.|
|Always the centre of attention wherever she goes.....! 828 at Boat of Garten in 2010 on the day that she was formally recommissioned after heavy overhaul|